Heartline Ministries is a 501(c)(3) faith based organization formed to operate an orphanage, women’s program, and other programs in Port-au-Prince Haiti. The organization was established in September of 2000 to formalize the independent work of John & Beth McHoul, who are the founding directors of the organization. John & Beth McHoul have been working in Haiti since 1989.
Our approach deals with the whole person, so Heartline is involved in many humanitarian, educational and faith-based activities.
In 2007, we started our women’s program. The women’s program currently houses our Sewing, Beading, Cooking, and Literacy programs. Although classes vary in duration most women stay in the programs for about a year. Once they master their crafts they also have the chance to sell their items both online and at our two merchandise stores in Haiti. The ultimate goal of the program is to empower women to take control of their lives emotionally, spiritually, and financially.
As we worked with orphans we realized that a great unfilled need was maternal care. Many babies and children become orphans due to inadequate or absent medical care for expecting mothers. In many cases simple procedures and proper care would have prevented these deaths and thereby the orphans. There are lots of orphanages in Haiti. There are far less maternity clinics. So in 2009, our Maternity Center was brought to reality with a very busy birthing room and classrooms where both pre-natal and post-birth child development classes are taught weekly. We have 2 full-time RNs and 3 midwives on staff and many others who have a heart for the program who are a great help! We hope to expand our program with a second clinic. We’ve also had other missionaries from different parts of the world come to study our program.
On January 12, 2010 everything changed as a devastating earthquake destroyed most of Port Au Prince. Millions were killed, injured, or made homeless. By the grace of God, our facilities experienced minor damage and none of the people working for Heartline were seriously injured.
We responded immediately by transforming the maternity center into an emergency clinic where we performed major surgeries and helped hundreds of people recover. We were one of the few places in the city that could function so quickly after the earthquake due to the experienced group of missionaries and medical professionals and their diligent work. After about a year we were able to resume full time maternity services.
In 2013 we added a men’s discipleship and bakery program to our ministries. We have been blessed to see 10 Haitian men develop new business skills and develop a deeper relationship with Christ and their Christian brothers.
We haven’t forgotten about the children in Haiti. We have several types of support and camp programs throughout the year.
As an organization, our size and commitment has made us a very effective organization. Currently, 90% of the organizations expenses are spent on the ground in Haiti.
We currently have several missionary families and singles working full-time in Haiti with Heartline.
Visit our staff page for more info and links to their blogs!
Thank you for your heart for Haiti and Haiti’s people. Thank you for your prayers and support for us as we work to be the Hands of Christ in Haiti.
Our Mission Statement
“Intentionally walking alongside impoverished men, women, and children during their life journeys, meeting critical physical, emotional, financial, educational, and most importantly spiritual needs.”
Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.