As the holiday season approaches, many of us are looking for ways to shop with a purpose. By purchasing handmade items from Haitian artisans, you can give family and friends truly unique gifts while providing employment and economic opportunity. As Haiti’s instability continues into the holiday season, this is even more critical to Haitian artisans.
Here are some of our favorite organizations working to empower Haitians through job creation, training, and meaningful employment. Click the links below to see their beautiful products and make a difference with your holiday shopping this year!
Haiti Design Co
- Unique jewelry made of different materials – beads, clay, leather, and horn
- Leather products – bags, wallets, clutches
- Gifts and home – decorations made from horn, embroidered banners, stuffed animals
Another reason to love Haiti Design Co. Haiti Design Co’s artisan teams are like family and they have a strong emphasis on raising up Haitian leaders. You can get to know their in-house artisan teams and independent partners here: http://haitidesignco.org/artisan-incubator-program/
2nd Story Goods
- Home decor – pillows, rugs, blankets, ornaments
- Office/travel – Journals, portfolios, passport holders, luggage tags
- Jewelry – earrings, necklaces, bracelets made from different materials
- Bags and wallets
Another reason to love 2nd Story Goods. They share beautiful, honest stories about the lives interwoven with their work. Check them out here: https://www.2ndstorygoods.com/pages/stories
- Jewelry & Accessories
Another reason to love:
- Deux Mains is transparent about where they source their materials and are intentional about upcycling otherwise wasted materials: https://deuxmains.com/pages/your-purchase-your-impact
- Mom and baby items – swaddles, covers and more!
Another reason to love this ministry – Petite Palm’s “Mama Zwazo Initiative” supports employees’ holistic well-being – focusing on mind, body, and soul:Learn more here: Impact
- Apparel and accessories – tote bags and purses, jewelry, t-shirts
- Gifts and decor – mugs, greeting cards, beauty products, ornaments
- Kids – dolls, stuffed animals, t-shirts
Another reason to love:
- Papillon has on-site daycare and preschool for children of their employees: https://papillonmarketplace.com/pages/haiti-mission
Where do you shop to support Haitian artisans? What are your favorite items?
Share in the comments below! We’d love to hear from you!